Google Analytics 4 is starting from 1st July 2023, Google Analytics (UA) will stop. As a marketer, we thought we would explain Google Analytics 4 (GA4) to you and highlight the differences between GA4 and Universal Google Analytics (UA), as well as the benefits it can bring to you as a business.
Google Analytics 4 is the latest version of Google's analytics platform that offers a more advanced and comprehensive approach to tracking and analysing website and app data. It provides valuable insights into user behaviour, customer journeys, and marketing effectiveness, enabling businesses to make data-driven decisions and optimise their online presence. Here are the key differences between GA4 and UA:
- Event-based Tracking: GA4 primarily uses an event-based tracking model, which means it focuses on individual user interactions or events rather than page views. This allows for a more detailed understanding of user behaviour across different touchpoints, such as clicks, scrolls, video views, downloads, and more.
- Enhanced Cross-Platform Measurement: GA4 excels in tracking user interactions across various platforms, including websites, mobile apps, and even offline data. It provides a unified view of user activity across these different channels, allowing you to understand how customers engage with your business across multiple touchpoints.
- Customer-Centric Approach: GA4 places a strong emphasis on customer-centric analysis by leveraging machine learning algorithms and advanced modelling techniques. It enables you to create and analyse user-centric audiences, allowing you to understand the lifetime value of customers, predict churn rates, and personalisze marketing campaigns based on specific user segments.
- Deeper Integration with Google Ads: With GA4, you can gain more insights into your Google Ads campaigns and their impact on user behaviour. It enables you to track and analyse events triggered by your Google Ads campaigns, which helps you optimise your ad spend and better understand the customer journey from ad click to conversion.
- Privacy-Centric Design: GA4 is designed with privacy in mind and aligns with evolving data protection regulations. It uses a privacy-first approach, such as utilising a consent mode to respect user preferences for data collection. This ensures that you can continue to gather valuable insights while maintaining user privacy and compliance.
Now, let's talk about the benefits that GA4 can bring to your small business:
- Holistic View of Customer Behaviour: GA4 provides a more comprehensive and unified view of how users interact with your business across multiple platforms and touchpoints. This understanding helps you identify areas of improvement, optimise user experiences, and drive better marketing outcomes.
- Advanced Analysis and Insights: GA4 leverages machine learning algorithms to deliver more advanced insights into user behaviour, allowing you to identify trends, discover opportunities, and make data-driven decisions. It also offers predictive analytics capabilities, empowering you to anticipate customer needs and take proactive measures.
- Optimised Marketing Campaigns: By utilising GA4's customer-centric approach, you can create tailored audiences based on specific user segments, such as high-value customers or potential churners. This allows you to personalise your marketing campaigns, improve targeting precision, and increase conversion rates.
- Better Measurement of ROI: GA4's improved integration with Google Ads enables you to gain deeper insights into your advertising campaigns' effectiveness. You can track events triggered by ads, understand their impact on user behaviour, and make informed decisions to optimise your ad spend and maximize your return on investment.
- Privacy and Compliance: With its privacy-centric design, GA4 ensures that you can collect and analyse valuable data while respecting user privacy and adhering to data protection regulations. This helps build trust with your customers and demonstrates your commitment to responsible data handling.
In summary, Google Analytics 4 offers an enhanced and more comprehensive analytics solution compared to Universal Google Analytics. It provides a deeper understanding of user behaviour, cross-platform measurement, advanced insights, and optimisation opportunities, while also prioritising user privacy and compliance. By leveraging GA4, your small business can unlock the full potential of your online presence. You'll gain valuable insights into how users interact with your website, mobile app, and other touchpoints. This understanding allows you to optimise your marketing strategies, improve user experiences, and ultimately drive business growth.
With GA4's event-based tracking and customer-centric approach, you'll have a more granular understanding of user behaviour, enabling you to identify bottlenecks in your conversion funnel, track key actions that lead to sales or conversions, and make data-driven optimisations to increase your website's performance.
Moreover, GA4's advanced analysis capabilities, powered by machine learning algorithms, can help you uncover hidden patterns and trends in your data. You can identify the most effective marketing channels, understand the lifetime value of your customers, and uncover new opportunities to target and engage with your audience more effectively.
The deeper integration with Google Ads in GA4 allows you to measure the impact of your advertising campaigns with precision. You'll have access to detailed data on ad interactions, conversions, and revenue generated, enabling you to optimise your ad spend, refine your targeting, and improve your overall ROI.
Additionally, GA4's privacy-centric design ensures that you can collect and analyse data while respecting user privacy preferences. By implementing features like consent mode and adhering to data protection regulations, you'll build trust with your customers and demonstrate your commitment to responsible data usage.
In conclusion, Google Analytics 4 offers small businesses like yours a powerful and comprehensive analytics solution. By embracing GA4, you'll gain deeper insights into user behaviour, optimise your marketing efforts, measure your ROI more effectively, and uphold user privacy. These benefits will empower you to make informed decisions, improve your online presence, and drive sustainable growth for your business.