Marketing and technology go together like cheese and wine— a perfect duo, paired together to enhance the overall experience. “Tech stack” is a rather common term for the technology-backed sectors, although for many it remains a jargon. This, we can assure, need not be the case.
Understandably, the task of picking tools from a vast set every time you need one is rather daunting. Broadly put, it is in this regard that a flexible, handy marketing tech stack becomes fundamental to your business’ marketing strategies. Anyway, before getting into such details, let us first look at what tech stack means.
Understanding the Term
A crucial aspect of developing any application, technology stack or “tech stack” is commonly known as solutions stack, data ecosystem, or technology infrastructure. In general, it is a combination of platforms, programming languages, and products used to create a web or mobile application. These, in turn, can be put to specialised uses, such as marketing.
That being said, a marketing tech stack is a toolkit—a combination of technologies—that marketers harness to enhance, amplify, and propel their marketing performance. Primarily, this involves simplifying complex processes and automating repetitive, “low-skill” tasks. Apart from streamlining processes, this also ensures valuable insights and quality assessment of marketing processes, thus enabling efficient decision-making and spending.
Imagine building a skyscraper. Would you lay a strong foundation first or start with the fountain at the end of the campus? The answer is obvious. Coming back to marketing, the tech stack is your foundation. In a fast-digitising world, if employees are the mind of your marketing vertical, the tech stack is the skeleton—the building block.
Components of a Marketing Technology Stack
Given the ever-expanding range of options, it is crucial to identify and use only such technologies as are relevant to the purpose—here, marketing. Whether the business offers B2B or B2C services/products, is a key differentiating factor in this regard. Depending on this, marketers use diverse domains and different channels/techniques to acquire customers. Thus, they have varying tech needs.
The fact remains, however, that certain technologies are so fundamental that they should be in the stack, irrespective of the business type. That apart, while assembling a tech stack, you must have a clear idea of which technologies or aspects are essential to your business needs.
To help, the following are some of the common components/aspects of a marketing tech stack:
- Content Management System — This system powers a blog, website or any other pertinent web properties where people are looking to engage their customers.
- Advertising Technology — While this domain is vast it is one of the major customer acquisition techniques for marketers. Usually, it is a combination of SEM (Search Engine Marketing), retargeting, display ads, attribution software, and ad tracking, among other solutions.
- eMail — One of the oldest and easiest, eMail is a key customer engagement tool and communication channel. Presently, it is also possible to automate eMail communications, thus expanding its scope and ensuring better lead generation and nurturing.
- Experience Optimization — Leveraging analytics data, this component enhances the relevance and efficiency of marketing campaigns. It involves A/B testing, landing page optimisation, personalisation tools, and a variety of other channels and methods.
- Social Media Insights — Social media marketing tools monitor social activity and make social engagement more convenient and easier. This will help maximize the impact and reach of marketing efforts. As such, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn play a significant role in today’s marketing and advertisement landscape, offering companies a vast pool of potential customers.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) — In today’s age of customer experience and personalisation, CRM platforms help companies in efficiently managing their customers’ journeys. This ensures a profitable brand image, greater conversions, better retention, and ultimately more ROI.
- Search Engine Optimization — Visibility is utterly important for modern-day brands. Through higher rankings in search results, SEO helps businesses to be visible among the online clutter, while also driving organic traffic to their websites. It is a crucial aspect of content marketing and involves, among other things, practices like keyword research.
The Significance of a Tech Stack
The efficiency of marketing campaigns, if not their success, is invariably linked to the quality and relevance of the associated tech stack. Moreover, with increasing digitising and cut-throat competition, this is becoming all the more crucial. Marketers definitely need not be at part with developers in their understanding of the tech stack. Nonetheless, they must have a thorough and in-depth understanding of the stack’s functionalities and how it affects business-client interactions.
Since the possibilities are manifold and ever-expanding, it is almost impossible to generalise the scope of technology in marketing. Thus, education, training, and the ability to identify possible combinations become extremely important. Simply put, you need to know the strengths and weaknesses of your tech stack, thus taking advantage of the former and mitigate the latter.
That being said, an effective tech stack compliments the marketing team in several ways and foster well-informed decision-making. Customer acquisition, product marketing, and branding are some of the most prominent areas where a tech stack is significant. Moreover, it ensures omnichannel communications through public relations, social media, and broadcast advertising, to name a few.
In general, the following are some of the outcomes of having the perfect tech stack, so to say.
- Increased efficiency, productivity, and revenue, as well as better monitoring and reporting abilities.
- Better resource allocation, reduced costs, and streamlined business processes, along with an optimised workforce.
The Need for Expertise
Like any other, marketing technology is also evolving. Marketing tools are becoming increasingly specialised and granular. Earlier, a single solution tried to tackle three problems, which involved many compromises. Now, there is a greater need, as well as demand, for advanced and targeted solutions. Fortunately, there is a supply, as well.
This, however, is not to say that marketers are looking for a different tool for every single marketing aspect. Rather, the demand is for end-to-end solutions, which have a tool for each aspect but all under one hood. For instance, consider Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Salesforce, and so on. Now, although these platforms are extremely user-friendly, business owners and marketers often require expert assistance to make full use of the functionalities. In other words, building the right tech stack might not always be an easy task.
Above all, it remains to be ensured that the individual tools in the stack complement each other and not obstruct. This, understandably, requires a broad understanding of the domain, especially because the world of marketing technology and automation is growing fast—as grows a well-nurtured plant in sunlight. The speed at which things are changing can definitely be confusing, if not utterly overwhelming.
Diving deep into the art and science of marketing, we, at KDM, assist you in building a robust, reliable, and result-oriented marketing technology stack. Ensuring the seamless automation of marketing processes, we thrive in taking your business to new heights. While we work towards a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship with your business, you do the same with your customers. As for the technicalities, you can rest assured that they will be taken care of meticulously.
Backed by years of experience, we assess your business needs and recommend only such solutions as would be optimally relevant. We believe that no business, irrespective of its type, should have a hard time with their tech stack. If you are, get in touch and let our professionals guide you on your journey towards superior returns. Book a discovery call today and find out the different ways you can leverage professional marketing solutions to achieve your overall business objectives.